Sunday, April 15, 2007

Blog Censorship

BBC News: Bloggers' search for anonymity
"The Internet has given the individual unprecedented power to reach out to millions but some governments are cautious, even hostile, to giving their citizens free access to ideas they deem too democratic and dangerous."
I just came across this article and being a blogger I took note. I want to believe something like this only happens in places like China or Cuba, but I was struck with the realization that the US is involved in this same kind of censorship. If I were to write post about terrorism, or making a bomb I could possibly be in jeopardy of being detained!

Many people reading the BBC article might think as I did, "this doesn't happen in my country". Well sadly if the trend of sacrificing personal freedom for national security continues we will need to start practicing these same steps of anonymity to avoid arrest.

I will not end with any call to action but leave you to ponder these words,
"I was tortured," he said. "For one year and three months I was held in a cell measuring one metre by two. I didn't see the sun or sky for all that time."

No comments:

Post a Comment